Grabbable Button:)

Fantasies of a Fangirl Book Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Book Review: The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

Book Review:
The Darkest Part of the Forest
by Holly Black


Book Rating: 3.5 stars

Goodreads Page 
Goodreads Review 
Tumblr Review 



“There's a monster in our wood. She'll get you if you're not good. Drag you under leaves and sticks. Punish you for all your tricks. Anest of hair and gnawed bone. You are never, ever coming... home.” 


     First- Holly Black's writing style just isn't to my liking. And the way she unfolded the story was a bit of a disappointment. So barely into the review, here I am expressing my dislike. Many people enjoyed this novel and I rather did at several intervals, but I wished I liked it more. I was really hyped and excited to read this, but ugghh expectations that are never reached are such disappointment. The only reason I gave it a four-star on Goodreads was the saving grace of several aspects of the book.

   Faeries. I have mixed feelings about them but I also love reading about them. And when I picked this up, I was really in the mood (craving) for some hot faerie prince. And don't get me wrong I got a good bit of that, but things started to go downhill for me. Besides the amazing way Holly Black portrayed the faeries, bringing them to life, I really enjoyed their part. I was in awe at their beauty and strangeness and even shuddered at their cruelty. You really got a good glimpse of amazing faerie folklore walking by. I just really felt more consumed by them in the story.


  “We love until we do not. For us, love doesn't fade gradually. It snaps like a branch bent too far.” 


  Holly Black's writing was just not for me, but at times it was really good and tolerable. The world-building was amazing. The details and the way she conveyed the normal routine of human lives mixed with the faeries was pretty impressive. It was believable and so realistic. The characters was well-written and brought to life, but I didn't feel any attachment to them. Maybe a few times, I began to sympathize and worry a tad bit for them, but overall they were just not in my range of caring.


Where I'd shelf this one:
  • Standalone 
  • Paranormal 
  • Faeries 
  • Fantasy 
  • Young Adult 
  • Romance 

  The pacing of the story at times was good but then it moves too fast and things didn't seem to flow. I felt really compelled to read due to the faeries. I was confused at times but what really annoyed me was the way the story was told. But still, I think she did a great job tying it up in a standalone without needing a sequel. Holly Black had some clever twists to turn you around in a circle. The story was original and different, but I felt like it fell flat. It had so much potential and paths the story could've gone up, but things never turned out that way.


“Once, there was a girl who vowed she would save everyone in the world, but forgot herself.” 


   Original and different, despite the bumps I tripped on. I enjoyed it nonetheless, creative and pretty impressive with bringing to life the world and faeries. Wish I could've enjoyed it more, but ah well. My first Holly Black book, but I'm willing to give her books a try. The Darkest Part of the Forest was intriguing to me, but sadly my expectations were too high. So much potential, but that's okay.

Until next time, Read on!


   Fangirl to the Stars,
   ~Z:)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment